Monday, December 6, 2010

Potty Training

Around Lachoneus' 2nd birthday we tried to potty train him. We bought a frog potty and checked out encouraging books and dvd from the library for him. He used the potty right and it was wonderful. So we went out and bought him some fun underwear. When we tried to get him to wear the underwear he realized we wanted to trade his diapers for them. That was not going to happen. He decided to refuse to use the potty and wear underwear. So Sterling and I left him alone.

We kept the frog potty on the floor in the downstaires bathroom in case Luke ever decided he want to use it. Every few months we'd ask him if he wanted to use the potty but he would refuse.

We decided to wait until Luke could tell us that he was about to poop in his diaper or even that he needed a diaper change. But at 2yrs 4months old he started sticking his finger into his poopy diapers and pulling out poop to show me he was stinky. He'd walk up to me with poopy fingers and hold them up at me without saying a word.

After three days of that I decided he needed to potty train.

We started potty training on a Monday at the end of November. Luke did well. The first two days were very hard on me...wore me out. The third day was better and I was losing my stress over it. The fourth day was wonderful. It just kept getting better.

We would put a diaper on his to sleep and to leave the house. And around day 4 he started "holding it" when he wore a diaper. Even when he slept at night he would wake up with a clean/dry diaper. I guess he was getting use to the nice feeling of being dry and so he doesn't want to wet in his diaper.

The first weekend of his training he got on the potty once by himself, saying he needed to poop. He didn't do anything in the potty but I was proud he tried.

Day 8 (Monday) he told me he needed to poop and I helped him get on the potty. So he is progressing very well.

Sometimes he refuses to sit on the potty and he gets in trouble because i know he has to pee. A few times he has started doing a pee pee dance and refused to go sit on the potty. But most of the time I trust his judgement when he says he doesn't need to sit on the potty.
I just make him sit on the potty periodically.

We don't want to introduce him to the big toilet too soon and scare him. But we do hope to take him to church in underwear on day 14 of potty training. So we will introduce him to the toilet a few days before that and hope he does well.

No comments:

Post a Comment